Monday, May 15, 2006

again with the compilation contenders

Counting Crows - Sister Golden Hair: I don't think I've ever actually heard the original America version of this song, but darn it if this isn't an awesome song. This is a live version from a show they did at the Shim Sham Club in New Orleans in 2003, the last Shim Sham Show they ever did.

The Wiggles - Captain Feathersword Fell Asleep On His Pirate Ship: Well, if I'm going to include a Hi-5 in contention, it's only fair that the Wiggles get a shot too.

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues: Seriously, who else could get away with "I shot a man in Reno/Just to watch him die"? Somehow Johnny Cash made it acceptable for country music to be played in HMV, and that's an achievement in itself.

Paul Kelly - From St Kilda to Kings Cross: "I want to see the sun go down from St Kilda Esplanade/Where the beach needs reconstruction, where the palm trees have it hard/I'd give you all of Sydney Harbour (all that land, all that water)/For that one sweet promenade." Parochial? You bet.

Travis - Driftwood: I remember my brother had the Why Does it Always Rain on Me single (a song I hated with a passion) when it first came out, and this was a standout live version of the track on the B-side. Never really made it on our charts, but it's an awesome pop tune. Anyway, I picked it up at Dixon's this year.

No comments: